A Pilot Study Evaluating the Combination of Acupuncture with Sildenafil on Endometrial Thickness Wendy Yu, L.Ac., Brandon Horn, J.D., L.Ac., Brian Acacio, M.D., Daoshing Ni, D.O.M, L.Ac., Ph.D., Rudy Quintero, M.D., Mory Nouriani, M.D. Sher Institutes for Reproductive Medicine, Glendale, CA and Eastern Center for Complementary Medicine, Los Angeles, CA Introduction used depending on the l
- A |
J |K |
U |V |
Lindaparker.com.au"THE ARTHRITIS REPORT"
by Naturopath & Author - Linda Marion Parker ND
WHAT IS ARTHRITIS?
• Arthritis is characterised by inflammation of the joints, often resulting in pain, stiffness,
disability and deformity. The two most common types of arthritis are osteoarthritis and
• Osteoarthritis (seen mostly in the elderly) is a degenerative joint disease. It affects the
weight-bearing joints such as the hips, knees and ankles as well as the hands and spine. In the
initial stages pain occurs in the joints during and after activity but as the condition progresses
pain may be experienced from minimal movement or during rest.
• Rheumatoid arthritis is an auto-immune disease causing chronic inflammation of the
joints. It most commonly affects the hand joints and can lead to deformities of the hands.
There can be the deposition of crystals in the joints.
• Trauma and excessive mobility to the joints
• Age – causing changes in the collagen matrix of the cartilage
• Hormone imbalances (esp post menopausal)
• Genes or genetic predisposition
• Obesity plus a low body weight
• Vitamin D deficiency
• Mineral deficiencies eg calcium, magnesium, boron, zinc, vitamin E
• Physical inactivity
• Excessive alcohol consumption (AIHW 2005)
• Other medical conditions
• Previous history of bone fractures and mechanical damage (AIHW 2005).
• Joint disease
• Imbalance of the immune system
• Pain in the joints of the hands, hips, knees, back or ankles
• Heat in the affected joint
• Swelling and inflammation of the joint
• Morning stiffness of a joint
• Pain on moving the involved joint that is worse the more you move and feels relief when
Arthritis Medical Treatment
• Aspirin is generally the first drug recommended by doctors, which can be effective at
relieving the pain and inflammation and is inexpensive.
• Aspirin however at the therapeutic dose of 2-4grams per day can be toxic.causing
tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and gastric or stomach irritation and ulcers.
• Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) are often used especially when aspirin
is ineffective or intolerable – eg Ibuprofen (Brufen, Motrin), Naproxen (Naprosyn), Tolmetin
(Tolectin), Fenoprofen (Fenopron), Indomethacin (Indocid) or Sulindac (Clinoril). These
drugs are associated with side effects including headaches, dizziness and stomach upsets.
One important SIDE EFFECT of aspirin and NSAIDS’s is that they prevent cartilage
repair (inhibition of collagen matrix synthesis) and ACCELERATE cartilage destruction
Therefore, the above drugs may suppress the symptoms but in the long term may be
accelerating the progression of the disease!
Age And Sex
• In 2004–05, the reported prevalence of arthritis was higher for females (18%) than for
• Arthritis is a condition most prevalent in older Australians, affecting 49% of people aged
65 years and over in 2004–05 (ABS 2006b).
• The prevalence of back problems was slightly higher for males (16%) than for females
Musculoskeletal conditions by age, 2004-05
• People in the 15-64 year age group, 16% of those living in the most disadvantaged areas
reported arthritis compared to 12% of those living in the least disadvantaged areas.
Arthritis Natural Remedies / Arthritis Treatments / Arthritis Therapy
Arthritis therapy is aimed and repairing the damaged joint structure, which can reverse the
Enhancing the repair and regeneration of the connective tissue cells by the use of natural
medicines is highly effective and successful.
The idea is to enhance the body’s own natural resources to fix the degeneration of the joint.
• Remove foods from the “Nightshade Family” from the genus solanaceae eg tomatoes,
potatoes, eggplant, peppers and tobacco (these alkaloids inhibit normal collagen repair in the
joints and may promote inflammation of the joint)
• Avoid processed carbohydrates eg bread, pasta or rice
• Increase high fibre foods eg legumes (peas, beans, chickpeas, red lentils and pulces)
• Increase vegetables and fruits
• Reduce saturated animal fats eg red meats, cheese, milk, cream, ice-cream, butter
• Increase good unsaturated fats eg fish, fish oils, flaxseed oil, cold pressed olive oils etc
• Reduce acid beverages eg coffee and tea (Ceylon)
• Drink at least 8 glasses of pure water each day
• Eliminate alcohol or reduce to 1-2 glasses per week maximum (whilst treating).
• There are many vitamins, amino acids and botanical medicines that help repair the joint
cartilage and restore health to the joints and bone structures
• Check for LEAD levels in the blood
Exercise for Arthritis / Arthritis Treatments
• Physical therapy and specific exercises are vital
• Gentle, regular exercise can improve an arthritic joint by nourishing the cartilage and
easing stiffness eg walking up gentle slopes
• Swimming eg freestyle or breaststroke
• Rowing machine
• Hatha Yoga (puts minimal stress on the joints)
• Tai Chi
Arthritis Remedies / Arthritis Natural Remedies
Practitioner Only Supplements Recommended
(Metagenics brand) Ph: 1800 777 648 - Quote Practitioner Number 44605
• Vitamin E – "E500 Tocopherol + Selenium" - 1 per day
• Vitamin C – "C Ultrascorb Powder II" - 1 teaspoon per day mixed in water
• Vitamin B6/Copper/Zinc/Vit D – "Meta B Complex" - 1 per day
• Calcium/Magnesium - "Osteoplus Tablets" - 2 per night
• Glucosamine – "Glucosamine Intensive Care" - 3 per day
• Multivitamin / Multimineral supplement "Multigenics"– 1 tablet per day
Arthritis Herbal Remedies / Arthritis Remedy
• Harpagophytum procumbens
• Curcuma longa
• Zingiber officinale
• Capsicum frutescens
• Salix alba
• Boswellia serrata
• Astragalus membranaceus
• Galium aparine
• Glycyrrhiza glabra
• Aloe barbadensis
• Arthrospira platensis
Please be aware that it is better to have a consultation with a qualified Naturopath who can
confirm the above supplement recommendations are suitable for your individual condition.
That way you will achieve the most effective results.
Arthritis can be treated very successfully using natural medicines and changes in
The aim of the Naturopath is to repair the existing damage of the joints, not to just suppress
Of course alleviating pain and inflammation can be done fairly quickly using some of the
above strategies and supplements, but long term cure and repair of the damaged joint/s may
take up to 6 months depending on the individual case.
Sticking to the special diet (listed above), implementing the special exercises and adhering to
the above botanical medicines and supplements will ensure great success.
If you have any further queries, or need individual attention email
[email protected] for more advice or to book an appointment phone (03) 5974
FARLEY COMMUNITY CHURCH YOUTH MINISTRY, HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA 2013 HEALTH AND LIABILITY RELEASE FORM – FOR YOUTH AND YOUNG ADULTS (This form is for youth and young adults, up through age of 20. If your parents insure you, you should use this form.) Name_____________________________Birthdate________________Age_______Home Phone_______________ Address, C-S-Z__________________________