Newsletter April 2012 Ihnen allen muntere und gesunde Osterfeiertage. Ihre Rita Schulz-Hillenbrand Fachanwältin für Medizinrecht Arzthaftungsrecht 1.) Darlegungs- und Beweislast für die Kausalität der Pflichtverletzung durch Unterlassen Besteht die Pflichtverletzung in einer Unterlassung, ist diese für den Schaden nur dann kausal, wenn pflichtgemäßes Handeln den Eintritt des Scha
- A |
J |K |
U |V |
Date: October 14, 2012
Name: James Ray Roberson, M.D.
The Emory Orthopaedics Center 59 Executive Park South Suite 2000 Atlanta, Georgia 30329
Current Titles and Affiliations
Department of Orthopaedics Emory University School of Medicine September 1996-Present Chairman Department of Orthopaedics Emory University School of Medicine May 2002 – Present Other Appointments:
Chief of Orthopaedic Service - Emory University Hospital, 1988-Present Associate Medical Director Emory University Hospital 1995-Present
Other administrative appointments
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Written Examination Task Force 1990 - Present Chair Adult Section – 1995-Present National Board of Medical Examiners Part II Examination Orthopaedic Representative Surgical Examination Committee 1995-1996 Board of Directors American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery 2011 - present Previous Administrative and/or clinical appointments
Department of Orthopaedics Emory University School of Medicine 1982-1987 Associate Professor Department of Orthopaedics Emory University School of Medicine 1987-1996 Associate Chairman Department of Orthopaedics Emory University School of Medicine 1990-2002
Georgia Medical License 020147, Issued December 12, 1978
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, 1984
Baylor University, Waco, Texas, 1969 - 1973, Degree: Bachelor of Science Medical School:
University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School, Dallas Texas 1973-1977 Postgraduate Training
Grady Memorial Hospital - Emory University Atlanta, Georgia Grady Memorial Hospital - Emory University Atlanta, Georgia
National and International
Regional and State
Board of Directors, Georgia Orthopaedic PACS 2006 Institutional
Emory Clinic Executive Committee, 1990 - 1993 Emory Clinic Incorporated, Board of Directors, 1994-Present
Editorships and Editorial Boards
Seminars in Arthroplasty (the Journal), 1999 Guest Editor, Complications of Total Hip Arthroplasty. Orthopaedic Clinics of North America 23:2, April, 1992.
Honors and awards
Emory Orthopaedic Department Faculty Member of the Year 1987 Emory Orthopaedic Department Faculty Member of the Year 1991 Emory Orthopaedic Department Faculty Member of the Year 1993
Secretary-Treasurer, Atlanta Orthopaedic Society, 1992-1995. President, Atlanta Orthopaedic Society, Sept. 1996-1997 American Rheumatology Assoc. Georgia Orthopaedic Society President, Georgia Orthopaedic Society 2007 Secretary-Treasurer, Robert P. Kelly Society, 1983-Present Secretary-Treasurer, Society of Arthritic Joint Surgery, 1985-1988 Vice President, Society of Arthritic Joint Surgery, 1990. President, Society of Arthritic Joint Surgery, 1992. Mayo Alumni Association American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons American Medical Association Association of Bone & Joint Surgeons Society for Arthritic Hip and Knee Surgery Grant Support
1. Epstein-Barr Virus Antigens and Antibodies in Rheumatoid Arthritis Coinvestigator with Carol T. Aitcheson, M.D. 2. Porous-coated Femoral Prostheses for Revision Hip Arthroplasty. Emory University 3. The Use of Ceforanide in Surgical Prophylaxis (Principal Investigator) 4. Clinical Evaluation of Ceforanide in Surgical Patients A Phase III Therapeutic Study Principal Investigator Bristol Laboratories Syracuse, New York 5. An Open Label Study of Marketed Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory in Patients with CIBA-GEIGY Corporation Summit, New Jersey 6. A Study of the Analgesic Efficacy of Orally Administered Talacen or Tylenol #3 in 7. A Multi-Center, Double-Blind Study of Parafon Forte vs. Chlorzoxazone 500 mg vs. Antaminophen 600 mg vs. Placebo in Acute Painful Musculoskeletal Disorders. 8. Nalfon vs. Placebo in Acute Painful Shoulder - 9. "Degree of Effectiveness of Ultrasound Therapy on the Acceleration of Fresh Fracture 10. Open Label Study of Voltaren Treatment in Patients with Osteoarthritis Using the 11. "Stress Shielding of the Proximal Femur Following Total Hip Replacement as a Principal Investigator Richards Medical Company 12. Biochemical Comparison of Slotted and Nonslotted Side Plates for Compression Screw Fixation of Intertrochanteric Hip Fractures. Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation. 13. An Open Label, Randomized, Parallel-Group Study to Compare the Efficacy and Safety of Procrit (Epoetin Alf) Administered Preoperatively and Autologous Predeposit, To Reduce the Risk of Allogeneic Transfusion in Subjects Undergoing Major, Elective Orthopedic Surgery. R. W. Johnson Pharmaceutical Research Institiute, Raritan, New Jersey 14. A Double-Blind Comparison of Bromfenac at Two doses Levels and Ketorolac In patients with Moderate to Severe Post-Orthopedic Surgery Pain. Clinical Research & Development Department 15. Study #49774-011 Morphine with Dextromethorphan. Fractional Study in 16. An Open Label Randomized Parallel Group Study Examining the Preoperative Administration of a Single Dose of Procrit in Conjunction with IV or Iron Therapy in Patients Undergoing Unilateral Primary Total Knee or Hip Reconstuction. 17. A Dose-Ranging, Multi-Center, Ramdomized, Subcutaneous Low Dose Heparin Controlled, Double Blind Clinical Trial to Assess athe Safety and Efficacy of Orally Administered Heparin with a Novel Carrier System (SNAC) in the Prevention of Major Venous Thromboembolism Events Following Elective Total Hip Arthroplasty. 18. A Single-Blind, Randomized, Parallel-Group Multi-Center Study to Assess the Safety and Efficacy of Hemaseel HMN as an Adjunct to Homeostasis in Total Knee Replacement. 19. A Phase II, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Dose-Finding, Double-Blind Study of Sustained-Release Encapsulated Morphine (C0401) Administered Epidurally for the Treatment of Postoperative Pain in Patients Undergoing Total Hip Arthroplasty. 20. A Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Study to Determine the Safety of R-hu EPO and Whether R-hu EPO Can Reduce Postoperative Transfusion Requirements in Subjects R. W. Johnson Pharmaceutical Research Institute 21. Multi-Dose, Double-Blind Clinical Trial of the Safety and Efficacy of Enoxaparin for the Prevention of Postoperative Deep Vein Thrombosis Following Total Hip 22. A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study to Determine the Safety and Efficacy of Multiple Doses of R-hu EPO in Facilitationg Presurgical Autologous Blood Donation. 24. A Randomized, Open Label, Parallel Group Comparison of the Safety and Efficacy of Lovenox (Enoxaparin) Injection -vs- Coumadin (Adjusted Dose Warfarin) in prevention of Thromboembolic Disease Following Hip Replacement Surgery. 25. A clinical sstudy of the performance of the Implex Hedrocel Avascular Necrosis 27. Functional Outcomes in Cardovascular Patients Undergoing Surgical Hip Repair Sponsor – National Institute of Health 28. Ceramic TRANSCEND Articulation System for Total Hip Replacement Clinical Sponsor – Wright Medical Technology, Inc. 29. Comparison of the safety and efficacy of patient controlled analgesia delivered by Fentanyl HCI Transdermal System vs. Morphine IV pump for pain management after primary unilateral total hip Replacement 30. Survival analysis of the fibular graft vs. Hedrocel Intervention Implant on patients 31. Metasul System in Cementless Total Hip Arthroplasty Sponsor – Zimmer/Intermedics Orthopaedics, Inc.
Lectureships, seminar invitations, and visiting professorships
1. 2005 Minimal Invasive Surgery Total Hip Arthroplasty, 10th Annual Residents
Symposium, Boston, Massachusetts September 11, 2005
2 2005 Management of the Unstable Total Hip Replacement, Management of Femoral
Head Osteonecrosis, and The Economics of Medical Education, Real Life Orthopaedics:
Highlights + Hot Topics, Atlanta, Georgia September 23, 2005
3 2005 Femoral Osteonecrosis Options for Early Surgical Management and Minimally
Invasive Total Hip Arthroplasty: What Does it Mean? North Carolina Orthopaedic
Association 2005 Annual Meeting, Pinehurst, North Carolina October 29th and 30th
4.2007 Ceramic on Ceramic Total Hip Replacement (Two to Nine Year Follow-up).
Real Life Orthopaedics Course, Atlanta, Georgia September 21, 2007.
Invitations to national or international conferences
"Porous Polysulfone Coated Titanium Allow Femoral Stems of Low Stiffness". James R. Roberson, M.D.; Myron Spector, Ph.D. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. February, 1988, Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia. 2. "Slotted vs. Nonslotted Side Plates for Fixation of Intertrochanteric Hip Fractures." James R. Roberson, M.D., Carlos Tandron, M.D., Marian Miller, B.S., Carlton Clinkscales, B.S. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons-Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada, February, 1989. 3. "Knee Arthrodesis with Long Intramedullary Rods," George Cierny, M.D., James Roberson, M.D., Preston Waldrop, M.D. Annual Meeting American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Las Vegas, Nevada, February, 1989. 4. "The Use of an Indwelling Catheter for Femoral Nerve Block Analgesia Following Total Knee Arthroplasty," F.R. Thompson, M.D. and James R. Roberson,
M.D., Annual Meeting American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, New Orleans,
Louisiana, February, 1990.
5. "Periacetabular Bone Loss with Early Loosening of Mecron Threaded Acetabular
Components," Sagerman, S. and Roberson, J., Annual Meeting of the American
Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Anaheim, California, 1991.
6. “Biomechanical and Clinical Evaluations of a Porous Tantalum Implant for
Intervening in Early Stage Osteonecrosis,” Audrey Tsao, MD, Michael Christie, MD,
David Dodre, MD, Bernard Stulberg, MD, David Heck, MD, James Roberson, MD, and
Robert Poggie, PhD Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic
Surgeons, February 23-27, 2005 Washington, D.C.
Published and accepted research articles in refereed journals
Roberson, James R., M.D. and Dimon, Joseph H., III, M.D. (1983) "Myofibrosis and Joint Contracture Caused by Injections of Pentazocaine". J. Bone Joint Surg., Vol. 65-A, No. 7, pp. 1007-1009 Malone, J.M., M.D.; Fleming, L. L., M.D.; Roberson, J.R., M.D.; Whitesides, T.E., Jr., M.D.; Leal, J.M.; Pool, J.U.; Grodin, R. (1983) "Immediate Early, and Late Postsurgical Management of the Upper-Limb Amputation." Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development 21(1) 33-41. Roberson, James R., M.D. and Bryan, R.S., M.D. (1984) Respiratory Distress Syndrome After Bilateral Total Knee Replacement." Orthopaedics 7(6) 1015-1016. Roberson, James R., M.D.; Whitesides, Thomas E. Jr. (1985) "Surgical Reconstruction of Late Post Traumatic Thoracolumbar Kyphosis" Spine 10(4)307-312. Volatile, Thomas B.; Roberson, James, R., M.D. and Whitesides, T.E.,(1985) Jr "The Mauch Hydraulic Knee Unit for Above Knee Amputees". Orthopaedics, 8(2)229-230. Brotherton, Stephen L.; Roberson, James R., M.D., DeAndrade, J.R., and Fleming, L.L. (1986) "Staged Versus Simultaneous Bilateral Total Knee Replacement". The Journal of Arthroplasty 1(4)221-228, Spector, M.; Roberson, J.R.; DeAndrade, J.R.; DeMane, M.J. and Luncefurd, E.M. (1987) "Bone Ingrowth Into Porous Polysulfone". The Journal of Orthopaedic Surgical Techniques 3(1) January, 1987. Roberson, James R. (1988) "Late Hemarthrosis from a Threaded Acetabular Component." Journal of Arthroplasty 3(1), . Bishop, A.; Roberson, J.R.; Eckmon, J. and Fleming, L.; (1988) "Total Hip Arthroplasty in Patients Who Have Sickle Cell Hemoglobinopathy." J. Bone Joint Surg. 70-A: 853. Spector, M.; Heyligers, Ide; and Roberson, J.R. (1988) "Porous Polymers for Biologic Fixation." Clin. Orthop. 235:207-219. Roberson, J.; Spector, M.; Baggett, M. and Kita, K. (1988) "Porous Coated Femoral Components in a Canine Model for Revision Arthroplasty." J. Bone and Joint Surgery, Vol. 70-A:1201-1208, September, 1988. Morrell, Scott, M.D.; Roberson, J.R., M.D. and Rooks, Michael D., M.D. (1989) "Accessory Nerve Palsy Following Thoracotomy". Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. No. 238, pp. 237-240, January, 1989. Roberson, J. (1989) "Allograft Bone and Cartilage: Biological Principles and Clinical Applications." Emory University Journal of Medicine, Vol. III, pg. 29 – 38, Jan - Mar, 1989. Roberson, James R., and Cohen, Debra; (1990) "Bipolar Components for Severe Bone Loss Around the Filed Total Hip Arthroplasty". Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. No. 251, pp. 113-18, February 1990. Dripchack, P. and Roberson, James R., (1990) "Breast Cancer Metastatic to the Foot with Massive Bone Loss," Orthopaedic Review, vol.19 no.10, 877-879, Oct. Roberson, James R., (1992) "Proximal Femoral Bone Loss After Total HipArthroplasty," Orthopoaedic Clinics of North America, 23(2).291-302. Swayze, O.S., Nasser, S. and Roberson, James R., (1992) "Deep Venous Thrombosis in Total Hip Arthroplasty," Orthopaedic Clinics of North America, 23:2, April, 1992, pp.359-365. Tigges,S., Stiles, R.G., Roberson, J.R., (1993) "Hip Aspiration, A Cost Effective and Accurate Method of Evaluating the Potentially Infected Hip Prosthesis," Radiology 189 (2) 1993. Manuel, S.R., Roberson, James R., Silcox, D.H., Hutton, W.C., (1993) "Two Methods of Stabilization Orthopaedic Association, vol 2 no. 1, Spring 1993. Roberson, J.R., Roberson, James R., Baggett, Martin A., (1993) "Arthrodesis of the Knee for Management of Chronic Infection." Complications in Orthopaedics, vol.8 no.3, 50-54, August, 1993. Boomgarden, C.L., Roberson, James R., (1994) "Provisional Fixation of Femur Fractures." Journal of Orthopaedic Techniques, Vol. 2, No.1, 1-4, March 1994. Tigges, S., Stiles, R.G., Roberson, James R., (1994) "Complications of Hip Arthroplasty Causing Periprosthetic Radiolucency on Plain Radiographs, American Journal of Radiology, 162:1387-1391, June 1994. Tigges S., Stiles R.G., Roberson, James R., (1994) "Aggressive Granulomatosis Complicating a Knee Arthroplasty." Journal Canadian Association of Radiologists, In Press. Tigges S., Stiles R.G., Roberson, James R., (1994) "Appearance of Septic Hip Prostheses on Plain Radiographs" American Journal of Radiology, 163, August, 1994. Tigges S., Roberson, J.R., Cohen, D.E., (1995) "Hip Arthroplasty: The Role of Plain Radiographs in Otpatient Management." Radiology, 194:73-75. January 1995. Tigges S., Roberson, J.R., Cohen, C., Keenan M., (1997) Radiography of Hip Arthroplasty Gondi, G., Roberson J.R., Ganey T.M., Shahriari A., Hutton W.C., (1997) Impingement After Total Hip Arthroplasty Related to Prosthetic component Selection and Range of Motion.
Tsao A.K., Roberson J.R., Christie M.J., Dore D.D., Heck D.A, Robertson D.D., and Poggie R.A, (2005) “Biomechanical and Clinical Evaluations Of A Porous Tantalum Implant For The Treatment Of Early-Stage Osteonecrosis” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery -Selected Scientific Exhibits- 87-A Supplement 2 Hamilton SC, Whang WW, Anderson BJ, Bradbury TL, Erens GA, Roberson Jr (2012) Inpatient enoxaparin and outpatient aspirin chemoprophylaxis regimen after primary hip and knee arthroplasty: a preliminary study. J Arthroplasty 27(9)1594-8 Book Chapters
"Arthroscopic Surgery". Medical Management of the Surgical Patient Second Edition, 1987. Butterworths. "Septic Arthritis". Current Diagnosis, Seventh Edition, 1983, W.B. Saunders Company. 3. " Porous Polysulfone Coated Femoral Stems." (Eds) dePutter, C., deLange, G.I.; deGroot, K., and Lee, A.J.C. Advances in Biomaterials, Volume 8, Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam, 1988, pp. 159 - 164. "Septic Arthritis". Current Diagnosis, Eighth Edition, 1990, W.B. Saunders Company Medical Management of the Total Hip Replacement Patient." Medical Management of the Surgical Patient. Third Edition. Butterworths.
6. “The Arthritic Hip. IN: Oxford Textbook of Surgery. Second Edition Oxford
"Surgical Reconstruction of Late Posttraumatic Thoracolumbar Kyphosis". Orthopaedic Transactions, 4(3) Fall 1980. "Addition of Metal Backing to Tibial Components of Unicompartmental Knee Replacements." Orthopaedic Transactions, 8(3) Fall 1984. "Porous Polysulfone-coated Femoral Stems in Primary and Revision Sites in Dogs." Transactions 12th Annual Meeting of Society of Biomaterials, 1986. "Bone Ingrowth Into Porous Polysulfone Coated Femoral Stems in Revision Sites in Dogs." Transactions 13th Annual Meeting of Society for Biomaterials 1987. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Letter to the Editor 69A 2/87 p. 310. "Bone Ingrowth Into Polysulfone." Transactions of the Eighth International Symposium on the Surgical Treatment of Arthritis. Freund Publishing House, London, England 1986. "Porous Polysulfone Coated Titanium Alloy Femoral Stems In Cementless Canine Revision Arthroplasty." Transactions of the Society of international Orthopaedic Research and Traumatology. August 1987. "Noncemented Porous Polysulfone Coated Titanium Alloy Femoral Stems: Animal and Human Studies." Transactions of the Societe Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopedique et de Traumatologie. August, 1987, p. 70. "The Arthritic Hip and Knee - Evaluation and Management." Audio-Digest "Abductor Strength Following Total Hip Replacement - A Prospective Comparison of Two Surgical Approaches." Orthopaedic Transactions, 1988. "Porous Polysulfone Coated Femoral Stems." Proceedings of European Society for Biomaterials 1987. "Evaluation and Management of Pelvic Trauma." Audio-Digest Foundation. Vol. 11, Number 6, June 1988. "Porous Polysulfone Coated Titanium Femoral Stems, A Prospective, Multicenter Study." Orthopaedic Transactions, 1990.
‘We zijn die neoliberale moraal een beetje zat’ Het kabinet wil dat de burger zichzelf redt, maar kan iedereen dat ook? ‘Succes en geluk zijn synoniemen geworden, zegt hoogleraar Trudy Dehue. ‘Daardoor komen degenen die niet succesvol zijn, in de problemen.’ – Door Wilma de Rek (Volkskrant 17 sept 2011) Dit kabinet presenteert zich als liberaal en verwijt links betutteling, m