Regular Article Financial Ties between DSM-IV Panel Members and the Pharmaceutical Industry Lisa Cosgrove a Sheldon Krimsky b Manisha Vijayaraghavan a a University of Massachusetts, Boston, Mass. , and b Tufts University, Medford, Mass. , USA Key Words cies (22%) and speakers bureau (16%). Conclusions: Our Confl icts of interest ؒ Ethics ؒ Financial interests ؒ in
- A |
J |K |
U |V |
Stjohns.inPUBLICATIONS INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL
DEPARTMENT OF PHYSIOLOGY & DIVISION OF NUTRITION
1. Sen B, Mahalanabis D,Shaikh S, Kurpad AV, Bose K. Evaluation of equations for fat – free
mass based on Anthropometry in infants and young children in South Asia Br. J. Nutr. 2008, 30:1-7 2. Kulathinal S. Gasbarra D, Kinra S, Ebrahim S, Sil anpaa MJ; Indian Migration Study Group. Estimation of additive genetic and environmental sources quantitative trait variation using data on married couples and their siblings. Genet Res. 2008;90:269-79.
3. Thankachan P, Walczyk T, Muthaya S, Kurpad AV, Hurrel RF. Iron absorption in young
Indian women: the interaction of iron status with the influence of tea and ascorbic acid. Am J Clin Nutr.2008 Apr; 87(4):881-6.
4. Jha P, Jacob B, Gajalakshmi V, Gupta PC, Dhingra N, Kumar R, Sinha DN, Dikshit RP, Parida DK, Kamadod R, Boreham J, Peto R et al; RGI-CGHR investigators. A national y representative case – control study of smoking and death in India. N Engl J Med. 2008, 358:1137-47. Epub 2008 Feb 13.
5. Kurpad AV, Raj R. The effect of ivy gourd (Coccinia cordifolia) extract on diabetic
patients. Nutr Found Ind Bull 2008; 29:1-5.
6. Dwarkanath P, Muthayya S, Vaz M, Thomas T, Mhaskar A, Mhaskar R, Thomas A, Bhat
S, Kurpad AV. The relationship between maternal physical activity during pregnancy and
birth weight. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007; 16(4):704-10.
7. Sgaier SK, Jha P, Mony P, Kurpad A, Lakshmi V, Kumar R, Ganguly NK. Public health.
Biobanks in developing countries: needs and feasibility. Science. 2007; 318(5853): 1074-5.
8. Kurpad AV. Book review – Annual Review of Nutrition 2007. Curr Sci, 2007.
9. Kuriyan R, Rajendran R, Bantwal G, Kurpad AV. Effect of supplementation of Coccinia
Cordifolia extract on newly detected diabetic patients. Diabetes Care. 2007 Nov 13; (Epub ahead of print). PMID: 18000183.
10. Thankachan P, Muthayya S, Walczyk T, Kurpad AV, Hurrell RF. An analysis of the
etiology of anemia and iron deficiency in young women of low socioeconomic status in Bangalore, India. Food Nutr Bul . 2007 Sep; 28(3):328-36 11. Muthayya S, Dwarkanath P, Thomas T, Ramprakash S, Mehra R, Mhaskar A, Mhaskar R,
Thomas A, Bhat S, Vaz M, Kurpad AV. The effect of fish and -3 LCPUFA intake on low
birth weight in Indian pregnant women. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2007 Oct 24;
12. Zimmermann MB, Zeder C, Muthayya S, Winichagoon P, Chaouki N, Aeberli I, Hurrell RF.
Adiposity in women and children from transition countries predicts decreased iron absorption, iron deficiency and a reduced response to iron fortification. Int J Obes (Lond). St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 13. Kuriyan R, Bhat S, Thomas T, Vaz M, Kurpad AV. Television viewing and sleep are
associated with overweight among urban and semi-urban South Indian children. Nutr J. 2007, 6:25.
DIVISION OF EPIDEMIOLOGY
1. Sankar K, Vaz M. Book Review: Annual Review of Public Health, volume 28, 2007
Current Science 2008; 94: 128 – 29.
2. Bharathi AV, Kurpad AV, Thomas T, Yusuf S, Saraswathi G, Vaz M. Development of food
frequency questionnaires and a nutrient database for the Prospective Urban and Rural Epidemiological (PURE) pilot study in South India: Methodological issues. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2008; 17:178-85. DIVISION OF MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
run S. Shet , Thomas Hoffmann, Marketa Jirouskova, Christin Janczak, Jacqueline R.M.
Stevens, Adewole Adamson, Mohnadas Narla, Barry S Col er. Morphological and functional
abnormalities in Berkeley sickle cell mice. Blood cells, molecules and diseases. 2008
DIVISION OF CLINICAL TRIALS
1. Denis Xavier, Prem Pais, PJ Deveraux Changchun Xie, D Prabhakaran, Prashanth Joshi,
Prafulla Kerkar, S. Thanikachalam, KK Haridas, TM Jaison, Sudhir Naik, AK Maity, Salim
Yusuf. Treatment and outcomes of acute coronary syndromes in India (CREATE): a
prospective analysis of registry data. Lancet 2008; 371:1435-1442.
2. Devereaux PJ, Yang H, Yusuf S, Guyatt G, Leslie K, Vil ar JC, Xavier
D, Chrolavicius S,
Greenpan L, Pogue J, Pais P, Liu L, Xu S, Malaga G, Avezum A, Chan M, Montori VM,
Jacka M, Choi P. POISE Study Group. Effects of extended-release metoprolol succinate in
patients undergoing non-cardiac surgery (POISE trial): a randomized controlled trial.
Lancet. 2008; 371: 1839-1847.
1. Leelavathy N. Cytogenetic studies in amenorrhea, Saudi Medical Journal, 2007, 28(2):
2. Suruchi Singhal, Vani Rao, R Ravindranath (2007). A study of supratrochlear foramen of
humerus. Anatomical Science International, 82:105-7.
St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 3. Suruchi Singhal, Vani Rao, R Ravindranath (2007). Variation in the formation of brachial
plexus and the relationship of median nerve with axil ary artery: A case report.Journal of Brachial Plexus and peripheral nerve injuries, 2:21-6.
4. Dermatoglyphics – Quantitative analysis in Rheumatoid arthritis. Rajangam S, Roopa R,
Shubha R, Nagesh HV and Johnson J. Accepted in Anthropology. ANTH – 499, 2008
5. Sayee Rajangam, Preetha Tilak, Aruna N, Rema Devi. Karyotyping and Counseling in
bad obstetric history and infertility. Iranian Journal of reproductive Medicine Vol. 5 (1), 2007; 7-12.
Dept of Biochemistry
1. “Lead poisoning as a Result of Infertility Treatment using Herbal Remedies”. Menezes Geraldine, D’souza Sunil Herman, Thuppil Venkatesh. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2007, 279-281.
2. “Evaluation, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Lead Poisoning in a Patient with Occupational Lead Exposure: a Case Presentation”. D’souza Sunil Herman, Menezes Geraldine (*1st 2 authors with equal contribution) & Thuppil Venkatesh Journal Occupl Med Toxicol 2007, 2:7 PARACLINICAL
Department of Pathology:
1. Role of Direct Immunofluroscence on Tzanck in Pemphigus Vulgaris Vijay Aithal, Usha Kini, Elizabeth Jayaseelan Diagnostic Cytopathology -2007; 35 (7) : 403-406 2. Normoblast in Pleural Fluid: are they significant? Usha Kini. Amrita Singh Diagnostic 3. Extracranial cysticercosis of the parotid gland: a case report with a review of the literature.Veena G. Shon, G.M. Usha Kini. Nayar R.C.J. Laryngol Otol. 2007; 119; 1-4 (Epub ahead of print) 4. Isolated lingual mucormycosis in an infant with Down Syndrome Shetty S, Usha Kini Department of Pharmacology:
1. Profile of pharmacotherapy and pharmacoeconomics of epilepsy treatment at a tertiary care hospital. Alben Sigamani, Roy A.K., Vikram K. Yeragani, Chanda Kulkarni. Annals of
2. Phenytoin-induced toxicity due to drug interactions. Letter to the Editor. Satyanarayana Rb, Singhal S, Kamat V, Yeragani V, Kulkarni C. Journal of Clinical Research [JCDR]. June
2006; Vol. 1, Issue 3, 205 – 208.[www.jcdr.net].
St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 3. Perioperative myocardial infarction : A silent kil er. Devereaux Pj, De Beer J, Vil ar Jc, Xavier D, Panju A, Berwanger O, Malaga G, Lanther L, Wetterslev J. Can. J. Gen. Int.
Med. 2006; 1 : 9 – 13.
4. Lisha Jushua, Padmini D. Devi, Shoba Guido. Adverse Drug Reactions in Nephrology
ward inpatients of a Tertiary Care Hospita. Ind. J. Med. Sci., Oct. 2007; 61 (10) : 562 – 569 admini Devi , Jennifer George. Drug information needs of Physicians treating diabetic
nephropathy in tertiary care hospital. Kathmandu University Medical Journal, 2008 Jan –
Mar; 6(1) : 23 – 27.
1. Valproic Acid – induced Wet Dog Shakes – A reproducible animal model of human compulsive behaviour : Effect of anti-depressants. Prathibha EA Jose, Joy David,
Vikram Yaragani, Chanda Kulkarni. Annal of Neurosciences 2007; 14 : 93 – 95
2. Roopa BS, Narayan SS, Sharma GRK, Rodrigues RJ, Kulkarni C: Pattern of adverse
drug reactions to anti-epileptic drugs. Pharmaco-epidemiology and Drug Safety 2008, 17 (8): 807-812 CLINICAL DEPARTMENTS
1. Roy A, Achar L, Sarma G, Kamath V, Mathew T, Mohammad A: Seizure outcome: a fol ow-
up study, Proceedings of 27th International Epilepsy Congress, Singapore, (Eds – Shih-Hui Lim, Peter Wolf), July 2007 2. Padmashree S, Isaacs AN: Expectations of primary care patients in rural Karnataka,
Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences 2007, 23, 534-537 3. Joseph B, Kiran PR: A stitch in time…annual health appraisal of garment industry
employees, Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences 2008, 24, 104-108 4. Isaacs AN, Varghese N, Phillips, CA, Pulickal AN, Lhmar C: Outcome of referrals from a
primary health institution in rural Karnataka, Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences 2008, 24, 157-160 MEDICINE
1. Usha Kini, G. Bantwal, V. Ayyar, Jyothi Idiculla. Bilateral gonadoblastomas with left sided
dysgerminoma in a true hermaphrodite (Disorder of sexual differentiation) with 46 XY
karyotype. JAPI 2008, (July).
yothi Idiculla , G.D. Ravindran. A good death. A matter of concern in India.National
Medical Journal of India 2008; 21(2):90-92.
ampath S. Critical Care Medicine 2007, Nov; 35 (11)2516-25.
St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 D Ravindran. Medical ethics education in India – Indian Journal of Medical Ethics vol
V no1 2008 18-19
5. Lymphoma associated haemophagocytic syndrome – A diagnostic trap. Mary N. Singh, Rajalaxmi T, Marjorie Correa, Usha Kini, Girija Singh. Indian Journal of Medical
Paediatric Oncology. Vol. 28, No.3; 27-30, 2007
1. Vasudevan A, Iyengar A, Jose B, Phadke KD. Pediatric Renal Transplant – A single
center experience. Transplant Proc 2008: DOI 10.1016/j.transproceed 2008.03.021 2. Vasudevan A, Phadke K. Growth in Pediatric Renal Transplant recipients. Transplant
3. Phadke KD, Vasudevan A. Drug induced renal diseases. Acta Anaesth.Italica
4. Shet A ,Mehandru S, Poles MA, Tenner-Racz K, Manuel i V, Jean-Pierre P, Lopez P, Low A,
Mohri H, Boden D, Racz P, Markowitz M. Mechanisms of Gastrointestinal CD4+ T Cel
Depletion During Acute and Early HIV-1 Infection. J Virology. 2007;81(2):599-612.
1. Ramachandra C, Manjunath S, Prabhakaran PS Geethashree Mukherjee, V Satya Suresh
Attili. Pancreatic Resections – A Five Year Analysis. Australian J of Cancer ISSN-0972-2556; 2007, 6:1 2. Airyand’s hernia – case report” Emirates Medical Journal April 2008 –LN Mohan
1. Acute ST elevation myocardial infarction in a patient with caged bal mitral valve prosthesis : A case report Srilakshmi M. Adhyapak, G.G.Shetty, M. J.
Santosh, Kiron Varghese, C.B.Patil, S.S. Iyengar International Journal of Cardiology
2007 ; Vol.59 ; No.5 ; Sept – Oct.’07 ; Pg.No.420
2. Mean Left Atrial Free Wal and Mitral Lateral Annulus Deformation, Mid Left Atrial Free Wal Velocity are Novel Independent Indicators of Clot Formation in Atrial Fibrillation - Combined
Results of Observation and Validative Studies.
ark C. Arokiaraj, Rochester MN, S S Iyengar, Kiron Varghese, Chandrakanth B
Patil, Gurappa G Shetty, Santhosh M Jaydev. Circulation : Oct. 16th Suppl. 2007, Vol.
St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 NEPHROLOGY
1. Nayak S., Renuka S. Genitourinary Tuberculosis after renal transplantation. Report of 3
cases with a good clinical outcome – American Journal of Transplantation. 2007; (7): 1862 – 1864. 2. Nayak S.G., Satish R. Extensive Central Venous Thrombosis in a Renal Al ograft
Recipient. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. Jan. 2008; 19 (1): 90 – 93.
3. Usha Bapat, Shobhana G. Nayak, Prashant G. Kedleya, Gokulnath. Demographics and
Social Factors Associated with Acceptance of Treatment in patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2008; 19 (1): 132 – 136.
1. Mahesha V,Saikia UN, Shubha AM, Rao KLN. Intestinal neuronal dysplasia of the
myenteric plexus- A new entity in humans? European Journal of Paediatric Surgery 2008;18:59-60. PUBLICATIONS IN NATIONAL JOURNALS.
From St. John’s Research Institute
1. Sood A, Sundararaj P, Sharma S, Kurpad AV, Muthayya S. BMI and Body Fat Percent:
Affluent Adolescent Girls in Bangalore City. Indian Pediatr. 2007 Aug 7;44(8):587-591 2. Swaminathan S, Thomas T, Kurpad AV, Vaz M. Dietary Patterns in Urban School
Children in South India. Indian Pediatr. 2007, 44:893-596.
3. Srihar G, Eilander A, Muthayya S, Kurpad AV, Seshadri S. Nutritional status of affluent
Indian school children : what and how much do we know ? Indian Pediatr. 2007;44:204-13.
4. Muthayya S, Thankachan P, Zimmermann MB, Andersson M, Eilander A, Misquith D,
Hurrell RF, Kurpad AV. Low anemia prevalence in school-aged children in Bangalore,
South India: possible effect of school health initiatives. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2007; 61:865-9.
5. Kuriyan R, Raj TR, Srinivas SK, Vaz M, Rajendran R, Kurpad AV. Effect of Caralluma
Fimbriata extract on appetite, food intake and anthropometry in adult Indian men and women. Appetite 2007, 48:338-44.
6. Kurpad AV, Raviprakash S, Pai P, Vaz M. Role of Muscle in Fat / Glucose Metabolism
and Insulin Resistance. NFI Bulletin 2007, 28: 1-6.
7. Kuriyan R, Thomas T, Kurpad AV. Estimation of total body muscle mass from
St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 bioelectrical impedance analysis and simple anthropometric measurements. Indian Jof Medical Research May 2008.
DIVISION OF EPIDEMIOLOGY
1. Vaz M, Bharathi AV, Muthayya S, Smitha J, Kurpad AV. Food frequency questionnaire-
based estimates of compliance to ATP III (National Cholesterol Education Programme) recommended diets in a middle class adult population of Education Programme) recommended diets in a middle class adult population of Bangalore City. Ind J. Nutr Dietetics 2007; 44:173-180.
2. Vaz M. Lifestyle changes: emerging trends. In Mindscapes: Global perspectives on
psychology in mental health. Ed. Kiran Rao. NIMHANS, Bangalore, 2007, pp 212 – 226.
3. Rebecca Kuriyan, Swarna Rekha Bhat, Tintu Thomas, Mario Vaz, Anura Kurpad;
Television view and sleep are associated with over weight among Urban and semi urban South Indian Children: Nutrition journal” Sep 2007 PRECLINICAL DEPARTMENTS
1. Ranganath VS, Rajangam S (2007). The observed chromosomal abnormalities in turner
and klinefilter syndrome. Accepted in Indian Journal of Multidisciplinary Research. 3(1):97 – 103 2. Ranganath VS, Rajangam S (2007). Birth order, consanguinity and parental age. The
associated chromosomal abnormalities. Accepted in Indian Journal of Human Genetics. Vo. 7, issue 4, (pg.285 – 288) 3. Ranganath VS (Oct 2008 issue). Foramena transversaria – variations. South Asian
4. Ranganath VS, Yogitha (Oct 2008 issue). Mandibular morphometry. South Asian
anthropologist. Vol.8, issue 1, 9-11, 2008.
5. Lalitha C, Sayee Rajangam, Preetha Tilak, Rema Devi. Karyotyping and
microdeletion Y study in male infertility - Obs and Gynae Today Vol XIII (2), 2008; 82-85.
Chapters contributed in the following books:
6. Genetic Counseling – 2007 – Dr. Preetha Tilak and Dr. Rema Devi BIOCHEMISTRY
1. “Uric Acid Neprolithiasis” Chapter – 109 in Nutritional and metabolic Bone and Stone disease an Asian Perspective, CBS Publishers – 2008, pg 826-831 by mteotia, Sultana
Furruqh and SPS Teotia. Express Health Care VBL 1. 12 Dec 2007 pg. 79.
2. “Genetic Susceptibility of Lead Poisoning: A Case Report” Anita R. Bijoor, T. Venkatesh
St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 (2007), Journal of Indian Society of Toxicology 3. “Low-Levels of Blood Lead and Antioxidant Status”. Anita R. Bijoor, Rashmi Sinha,
T.Venkatesh, (2007), Journal of Indian Society of Toxicology.
4. “Lead Toxicity as a Result of Herbal Medication. Ravi Raja, Vishal Babu G N, Geraldine
Menezes & Venkatesh T. Indi. J Clin. Biochem 2008, 23 (2) 200-203.
5. “Screening of School Children for Blood Lead Levels and Attempts to reduce them by Mom- pharmacological Means in a Coastal City of India”. Vishwanath Prashant, Akila Prasanth,
D. Devanand, Nayak Narendra, D’souza Vivian, T.Venkatesh. (2008) Indian Journal of
6. “Lead Toxicity in a Family as a Result of Occupational Exposure”. Ravi Raja, Vishal Babu
G N, Anita R. Bijoor, Geraldine Menezes & Venkatesh T. Arch Ind. Hyg Toxicol 2008, 59
1. Sucharita S, Srinivasan K, Kevin K, Ganesh AS, Vaz M. R-R variabiligy from standard 12
lead ECG may be useful for assessment of autonomic nervous function. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2007; 51(3): 303-305.
1. Antibiotic resistance profile and extended spectrum beta lactmase production in Acinetobacter species Mahua, H. Srinivasa, Ragini Macaden. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 126: 63-67, 2007. 2. Mechanisms of resistance to Carbapenem in Meropenem resistant Acinetobacter isolates from clinical samples. Mahua and H. Srinivasa - Indian Journal of Medical Microbiology.Vol.25 No9.2 121-125 2007.
3. Special article on Meningitis. Journal of Academy of Clinical Microbiologists – S. PATHOLOGY
1. Primary pulmonary choriocarcinoma: Is it stil an enigma? : A review Usha Kini and M.K. Babu Indian Journal of Chest Disease Allied Sci. 2007;49; 219 -226.
2. Lymphoma Associated Haemophagocytic Syndrome: A diagnostic Trap Marv Nandini Singh, Raialakshmi T., Marjorie Correa, Usha Kini and Girija Singh.
Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology, 2007; 28; 27-30.
3. Solitary Plasmacytoma of Bone:Julian Crasta. Karuna Rameshkumar ,Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2007; 1(2): 61-64 St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 4. Peritoneal mucormycosis in a patient on CAPO,Nayak S, Satish R, Gokulnath, Savio J. Raialakshmi T Peritoneal Dialysis International 2007; 27(2) :216-217 5. Histopathological spectrum of Paediatric Hodgkin Lymphoma Payal K. Rajalakshmi T. Ramesh R K ,Journal of Clinical Diagnostics and Research 2007; 1:3-9 6. What is the clue and What is your Diagnosis?T. Rajalakshmi. Mihaela Costache7. Dermatopathology: Practical and Conceptual Print View ,2007:13 (3) 8. Direct Immunofluorescence in cutaneous vesiculobul ous lesions -trials and triumphs Inchara Y.K., Raialakshmi T.Indian Journal of Pathology & Microbiology,2007 : 50 (4):730-732.
9. Audio-visual Aids in Medical Education: Usha Kini In Recent Advances of Goa Medical 10. Malignant lymphoma without lymphadenopathy. Usha Kini. Betty Alexander. Mariorie Correa. J. Assoc. Physicians India: 56: 383 -38 11. FNAC in the diagnosis of Hodgkin's Lymphoma -Hits and misses Rashmi Kumari. T .R. Rajalakshmi T.Journal of Cytology March-April 2008 ; 25 (I) : 10-12 12. Calcification and Ossification in eccrine mixed tumors: Under recognized features and diagnostic pitfal . Raialakshmi T. Almut Boer Dermatopathology Practical and Conceptual, 2008; 14 (1).
1. Gel card technology for Coombs test Vanamala Anand Alwar, Parimala Puttaiah, Panchakshari Prasanna B. K, Shanthala Devi A M, Sitalakshmi S, Karuna Rameshkumar IJPM 2007: 50 (3); 663-664 2. Start sensitizing medical students: Karuna RK Indian Journal of Medical Ethics 2007:Vol IV 3. Medical education and market forces- A general perspective :Karuna RK Health Action- 4. Significance of hemostatic abnormalities in ovarian carcinoma Sitalakshmi S, Karuna RK, Prema Damodar Indian journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology 29(2): 2008; 6 - 8 5. Role of serial estimation of serum transferrin receptor levels in anemia of haemodialysis patients Gokulnath, MR Sudhakara, Shanthala Devi, Karuna RK Nephrology 13 (1), 2008, PHARMACOLOGY
1. Sharon D’Souza, Padmini Devi D, Sushama M, Glenn Fernandes, Shoba Guido.
St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 Titubercular therapy induced serious adverse drug reactions in a South Indian Tertiary Care Centre. JMS, Sept. 2007; 21 (3) : 128 – 132.
admini Devi , Jennifer George. Diabetic nephropathy prescription trends in tertiary care
hospital. Ind. J. Pharmaceut. Sci, 2008 May / June; 70 (30) : 355 – 358
arugeri A , Parthasarathi G, Ramesh M. Stavudine-induced pancreatitis fol owed by
lopinavir ritonavis induced pancreatic. J. Postgrad. Med. 2008; 54 : 153 – 5.
arugeri A , Parthasarathi G, Ramesh M. Author’s reply. J. Postgrad. Med. 2008; 54 :
241 – 2.
arugeri A , Parthasarathi G, Ramesh M, Sharma J, Padmini Devi D. Story of heparin
recall : What India can do ? J. Postgrad. Med. 2008; 54 : 222 – 4.
6. Need to be ‘Vigilant’ about Pharmacovigilence studies …!!! Letter to the Editor. Chanda
Kulkarni. Journal of Medical Research (JMSR), 2007; 2 : 10 – 11.
7. Monitoring of Adverse Drug Reactions of anti-epileptic drugs : A cross sectional, hospital based study. Roopa BS, Sujatha S, Sarma GRK, Chanda Kulkarni. Pharmacovigilence
& Drug Safety, 2008.
1. Effects of Different doses of vecuronium bromide on a patient who is on Nicotine” Journal of Anaesthesiology and clinical pharmacology 23/3;307; 2007. 2. “Continuous Spinal Anaesthesia, an underused technique revisited, A case report” Indian Journal of Anaesthesia, June 2008;52(3):324-327 –Reena Nayar,. Sathyanarayana P.S.,
1. Kasthuri A: Healthcare for the Indian Elderly. Network towards Unity for Health Newsletter
2. Joseph B: Health problems of workers in the unorganized sector. Health Action 2007,
3. Goud BR, Sulekha T, Joseph B, Kiran PR: Evolution of systems for waste management
over 5 years in plantation health care centres in Karnataka, Journal of the Indian Society for Healthcare Waste Management 2007, 6: 22-24 4. Livera MD, Priya B, Ramesh A, Suman RPN, Srilakshmi V, Nagapoornima M,
Ramakrishnan AG, Misquith D, Rekha S: Spectral analysis of noise in the neonatal
intensive care unit, Indian Journal of Paediatrics 2008, 75, 217-222
St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 DERMATOLOGY
1. Ishwara Bhat, Priya Babu, Elizabeth J. A Clinicopathological Study of Pyoderma
Gangrenosum. IJDVL 2007 ( Book of Abstracts) 2. Aithal V., Kini U., Jayaseelan E. Role Of Direct Immunofluorescence On Tzanck Smears
In Pemphigus Vulgaris. Diagnostic Cytopathology 2007;35 (7) : 403-407.
ostel o syndrome. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2007 Nov-Dec;73(6):406-8 amilial dyskeratotic comedones. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol. 2008 Mar-Apr;74(2):142-4 OBSTETRICS AND GYNAECOLOGY
1. Comparison of Vaginal Misoprostol and Oral Misoprostol with intracervical Dinoprostone gel for labour induction at term. C.N. Sheela, Arun Mhaskar, Shirley George The Journal of
Obstetrics & Gynaecology of India; Vol 57, No. 4, July/April 2007, Page – 327- 330.
2. Advanced Intraligamentary pregnancy resulting in a live birth.Sheela C N, Arun Mhaskar,
Sashikala Karanth The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of India; Vol. 57, No. 6,
1. Immunogenicity and safety of combined diphtheria-tetanus-whole cell pertussis-hepatitis B/ haemophilus influenzae type b vaccine in Indian infants – S.B. Bavdekar, P.P. Maiya, S.D.
Subba Rao, S.K. Datta and H.L. *Indian Pediatrics, Volume 44, July 17, 505-510; 2007
2. Contributor to the publication of Zambian Guidelines for ART of HIV Infection in infants and children. Ministry of Health, Zambia, 2007.Sanjeev Lewin
3. Contributor to the publication of Pediatric HIV Care Training Course Faciliators and Participants Manual. Ministry of Health, Zambia, 2007. Sanjeev Lewin
4. Ongoing editorial contributions to the development of the fol owing two manuals: - Global HIV Manual (AAHIVM, Mayo Clinic)
- Care of Children in Hospital – Pediatric HIV Addendum (WHO) Sanjeev Lewin
5. Indumathi CK, Ganapathy Bantwal, Madhuri Patil Primary Hypothyroidism with
Precocious Puberty and bilateral cystic ovaries: Van Wyck – Grumbach syndrome. Indian Journal of Pediatrics. 2007; 74:781-783 6. Preeti Galgalli, Chitra Dinakar, Indumathi C.K, Maiya P.P. Menstrual problems in school
going adolescents. Is there cause for concern? A study conducted in Bangalore city, Karnataka, India. Section on Adolescent Health NEWS LETTER, volume 31,no 2,Winter 2008 7. Indumathi CK, Anand Alladi, Chitra Dinakar, Premalatha Rout: Tuberculosis of the
St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 breast in an adolescent girl: a rare presentation. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics: Vol 53 No.2, 2007 133-134 8. Chitra Dinakar, Indumathi C K, National PPTCT (prevention of parent to child
transmission) of HIV Drug protocol – Urgent need for a change. Indian Pediatrics; Vol 44-November 17,2007,867-868.
9. Phadke KD, Vasudevan A. Immunosuppressive Drugs and Immunosuppressive Protocol
in Renal Transplantation. IAP Drug Formulary 2007 2007; 24: 45-50. OTOLARYGOLOGY:
1. Spectral analysis of noise in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. M.D. Livera B, Priya, A.
Ramesh, P. N. Suman Rao, V. Srilakshmi, M. Nagapoornima, A. G. Ramakrishnan, M.
Dominic, Swarnarekha. Indian Journal of Pediatrics, 2008, March Vol. 75, 217-222.
1. Manjunath S. Adjuvant Chemotherapy in Solid Cancers. Onco-Dialogue (Invited article).
2. Manjunath S. Genetic Risk Factors for Colorectal Cancer. Onco-Dialogue (Invited
3. Manjunath S, Ramachandra C, Murthy V, Murthy PS, Prabhakaran PS, VSS Attili. Surgical
Resection For Local y Invasive Renal Cel Carcinoma – Is It Worthwhile? Indian J Urology, July – September; 2007 ORTHOPAEDICS
1. Albert D’souza, D Rajagopalan N, . Rajkumar S Amaravathi. “Role of qualitative cultures
in predicting infection in open tibia fractures”. The Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery, 2008;16(2)84-7 PSYCHIATRY
1. AS Bhat, Sunita Simon Kurpad, K. Srinivasan, R.B. Galgali (2007). J Indian medical
Association, July 3, Psychiatric Manifestations of Vitamin B12 Deficiency. 2. Sucharita S, Srinivasan K, Kevin K, Ganesh AS, Vaz M. RR variability from standard 12
lead ECG may be useful for assessment of autonomic nervous function. Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, 51, 303-305,2007.
3. Rao K, Prakash IJ, Srinivasan K. Mindscapes: Global perspectives on Psychology in
Mental Health. 2007, NIMHANS, Bangalore.
St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 1. Sarma GRK, Mathew T, Roy AK, Parkinsonism aggravated and Losartan: A probable new
adverse effect. Movement disorders 2008, April. CARDIOLOGY
1. Perioperative cardiovascular events in Non cardiac surgeries - Evaluation of Lee’s Score Jayakeerthi Y., Yeriswamy M.C., Santosh M.J., Shetty G.G., Kiron Varghese, Patil
C.B., Iyengar S.S. Indian Heart Journal, Vo. 59 ; No.5, Sept – Oct. 2007 ; page
2. Pulmonary Thromboembolism - Our experience Patil C.B., Yeriswamy M.C.,
Jayakeerthi Y., Cherian George, Mark C, Srilakshmi M.A., Santhosh M.J., Shetty
G.G., Kiron Varghese, Iyengar S.S. Indian Heart Journal, Vo. 59 ; No.5, Sept – Oct.
2007 ; page no.419
3. Clinical Profile and outcome in patients with atrial fibril ation Yeriswamy M.C.,
Jayakeerthi Y., Cherian George, Mark C, Srilakshmi M.A Santhosh M.J., Shetty
G.G, Kiron Varghese, Patil C B., Iyengar S.S. Indian Heart Journal, Vo. 59 ; No.5,
Sept – Oct. 2007 ; page no.420
4. Adult nontwin sib concordance rates for type 2 diabetes, hypertension and metabolic syndrome among Asian Indians : The Indian Atherosclerosis Research study Jayashree
S, Saikat K, Veena SR, Ganapathi P, Natesha BK, Manjari M, Iyengar SS, Kakkar
VV,Vascular Health and Risk Management 2007 : 3 (6) : 1 – 6
5. Prevalence and component analysis of metabolic syndrome : An Indian Atherosclerosis Research Study perspect Perioperative cardiovascular events in Non cardiac surgeries -
Evaluation of Lee’s Score Jayakeerthi Y., Yeriswamy M.C., Santosh M.J., Shetty
G.G., Kiron Varghese, Patil C.B., Iyengar S.S. Indian Heart Journal, Vo. 59 ; No.5,
Sept – Oct. 2007 ; page no.415
1. Nadiri FR, D’Souza GA. Thennarasu K, Kumaraiah V. Investigation of chronic cough in
tropics: A cost effective analysis. Lung India 2007 2. Grover N, D’Souza GA, Randomized controlled study of cognitive behavior therapy (CBT)
1. Gokulnath, Rajanna Sreedhara. Influence of Dialytic modality on Renal anaemia in CKD
patients. Indian Journal of Peritoneal Dialysis; Pages 22-25.
2. Nayak S.G., Satish R. Nephrotic Syndrome following multiple bee stings. The Ind. Pract.
St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034 1. Kattepura S, Krishnamurthy S, Hal iday M. Entrapment of axil ary artery after shoulder joint
reduction – A rare entity. Journal of Orthopaedics.2007;21:15-17 2. J Patter, Kattepura S, Duffield RGM. Laparoscopic totally extraperitoneal hernia repair – A
prospective study. Indian Journal of Surgery.2007 Aug.
3. Das K , Iyengar A. Urinary tract infections in children : a dialogue . Pediscan , June 2008.
1. A Mathemetical model to predict the requirement for multiple Z plasties, Indian J of Plast Surg, January-June 2008, Vol 41, Issue 1, Page No:99-101 - Dr. Sunderraj El ur St.John's National Academy of Health Sciences, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore, Karnataka State, India, 560 034
PURDUE EXTENSION Landscape & Ornamentals Department of Entomology HOME LANDSCAPE AND NURSERY INSECTICIDES Clifford S. Sadof, Extension Entomologist Recently, several commonly used insecticides for the control of insects on woody landscape plants have been Insecticides That Are Being Phased Out taken off the market. As a result, it’s becoming difficult for homeowners an